Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 2011

March is here :)

Hope you are all well. Spring is not too far away, the days are getting longer (really).



Here is a story from a chatter telling about how she got hooked on quilting.

How I got hooked on quilting

About 18 yrs ago I asked my aunt, who taught quilting, if she would make me a quilt. Her answer was "make it yourself". Um, convinced I wouldnt like it, or let alone do it, I went over to her house, sat on the floor and fondled fabric from her vast collection. I could not believe there were so many beautiful fabrics. Anyway, I chose to do a house quilt. Quite adventurous for a first. It was handpieced. I became fascinated by the history of quilts, how one would use what they had on hand, and so my love of doing scrappy quilts became addictive. I joined an online chatroom, made many friends, some of which I still have to this day, albeit in another chatroom. I have had the privilege of meeting so many special quilters from all over the world and shared many happy and sad occasions. I go off quilting on occasions, when life and work gets in the way, but it doesnt take me long to renew my love of quilting. When time is of an essence, I will machine piece but when it is a labour of love and I have the time, nothing beats handpiecing. I still love all fabrics but I adore the civil war colours and designs. So here is to another 18 years of friendship, quilting and chat.

romika


And here is another, submitted by a chatter, who's nick is unknown.

started making quilts with my my while I was in high school. Mom had always sewn for other people. Her grandmother had taught her to knit, crochet, sew, and quilt, and lived into her nineties when I was in high school She crocheted, sewed, and quilted until she died even though her eyesight had changed to be very nearsighted.

Mom love to piece but hated to quilt, so all the quilts she did and we did together, she just tacked with the sewing machine in places. Now that I have a longarm, one goal I have is to take out those tacks, and replace the blankets she used instead of batting with batting. That was we can use the quilts and not be suffocated because they are so hot.

Mom loved to recreate the patterns that her grandmother did with her. So, the grandmothers flower garden, and the basket blocks were her favorites. Some quilt she finished, since I was in college or just starting teaching, and I had started the quilt but got bored with the blocks. One was the Oriental Poppy from Ruby mcKim, and another was the hillbilly pixies from the stitch and sew magazine.

I crocheted for many years, but quilting has become the love of my life


Here is an absolutly delicious, yummy, recipe from Iowegian :)
I found this recipe online, loved the way it sounded, so I made it. My hubby totally loves it, warmed on sliced apples!! It is very easy, and stores great in a covered jar in the fridge. Hope you like it.



I've Been Called Evil Caramel Sauce

1/2 Cup Honey
1 stick of butter
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk


Mix together honey, butter and sugar in saucepan. Turn on medium-high heat, while
stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a rolling, bubbling boil for 2 minutes, while
continuing to stir constantly. Add condensed milk and mix well, keeping the stirring
and heat constant until completely mixed through.

Store in airtight containers in the fridge. To warm up, use a microwave on a low setting.

Great on sliced apples, sliced poundcake, ice cream, any sort of dessert. It is also good on fingers.


I'd be willing to bet at least one or two people will make this!!!




This is from kewpie. Sharing with us how she became interested in quilting.
Okay, here we go.

The first quilt I ever made was a 9 ring double wedding ring for a friend who had just completely remodeled her house. This is how it started.

In 1997 I took a class on a window pane vest that I saw advertised in the paper. I had never done much sewing in my life, but I thought that sounded interesting. I never did finish the vest, but the lady who taught the class invited me to come to a quilt group that met each week just a block from my house, so I thought I would give that a shot.

I told this lady that I wanted to make a quilt, mauve and gray, for a friend of mine, so she gave me a book to look at with different patterns in it. I fell in love with the double wedding ring and told her that is what I wanted to make. She discouraged me and told me it was the hardest pattern there was to make. Well, needless to say, I'm always up for a challenge and figured surely it couldn't be that difficult so I set out to prove her wrong. I went shopping, got the fabric, purchased the templates by Sharlene Jorgenson, and was off and running. I drew each of the templates onto the fabric, cut them out by hand, and started hand piecing it together. Needless to say, getting everything to fit together correctly proved a huge challenge, but I did eventually finish it and it didn't take me quite as long as she said it would. I hand quilted it and put a spider web on the back for luck along with a label with lots of information (I am known for my labels that read like a short story). I mailed it off to her and she loved it.

She and I had been friends for 25 years, but unfortunately, we had a misunderstanding and are no longer friends. It was a very petty misunderstanding and when she broke off our friendship over somthing so small I wondered if she would keep the quilt since it appeared she thought very little of our friendship. I wanted to ask her to send the quilt back, but everyone on Quiltchat told me I couldn't do that. I had given it to her and no matter what; it was hers to do with as she wished. I often wonder if she still has it.

That first double wedding ring led a smaller 4 ring one for a wedding gift for my step-daughter and then to an 80 ring queen sized one for my youngest son for a wedding gift and I am currently working on another 80 ring queen sized one for my eldest son who got married a year ago. It took me 1.5 years to do my youngest sons and I have been working on the current one for a year now. It is over half finished so, hopefully they will get it within the next six months.

My husband asked me to make one for our bed and I told him the one I am currently working on is the very last double wedding ring I will ever make!



I would like to thank those who have shared their stories, and encourage all who read these to please share their's :) Just email me, alaskaquilter@quiltchat.com with newsletter in the subject line.



We have all seen the horror, and devistation that has taken place in Australia, and New Zealand. And wondered, how can I help ? Efforts right now are, rightly being concentrated on restoring order,rebuilding homes. Perhaps at a later time it would be appropriate to think about helping those quilters/sewers who have lost their stash. My thought might be to contact your local Red Cross, as they have contacts with local relief agencies in the affected area's, and would be better able to direct efforts that are needed now, to help those in need.


And now on a lighter note :) The bow project in quiltchat has been a great success !! Thank you sweetjessy for thinking up this project :)



Again, I would like to thank those who have taken the time to share with us their stories, and recipes :) And to encourage others to share their's as well, just email me alaskaquilter@quiltchat.com with newsletter in the subject line.




Happy St Patricks Day !!

alaskaquilter

No comments:

Post a Comment